Unified Carrier Registration System


Any motor carrier or other entity that is required to obtain a USDOT, FF, MC or MX number and/or is required to register with FMCSA, or should be registered as an interstate or international commerce carrier, is subject to the UCR Agreement. This includes all interstate for-hire motor carriers transporting property or passengers, interstate motor private carriers of property, brokers, freight forwarders, and leasing companies.

Motor Carrier: The Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) System requires individuals and companies that operate commercial motor vehicles in interstate or international commerce to register their business and pay an annual fee based on the size of their fleet. A commercial motor vehicle (as defined under 49 USC Section 31101) means a self-propelled vehicle used on the highways in commerce principally to transport passengers or cargo, if the vehicle: (1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of at least 10,001 pounds, whichever is greater; (2) Is designed to transport more than 10 passengers, including the driver; or (3) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under section 5103 of this title and transported in a quantity requiring placards under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under section 5103.

Small vehicle: Interstate for-hire motor carriers transporting property or passengers and interstate motor private carriers of property operating only small vehicles (gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 10,000 pounds or less, or designed to transport 10 passengers or less, including the driver) are subject to pay UCR fees. If the carrier only operated these small vehicles, the fleet size for UCR purposes would be zero and the carrier would register and pay the lowest fee category (Bracket B1).

Other entity: Brokers, freight forwarders, or leasing companies are required to pay the UCR fee at the lowest fee category (Bracket B1).

UCR Fee Bracket
Bracket Number of self-propelled CMVs owned or operated by motor carrier, or motor private carrier of property Fee per company for motor carrier, or motor private carrier of property Fee per company for broker, freight forwarder or leasing company
B61,001 and more$73,346 

Registration begins October 1. States may begin enforcement January 1 of the following year.

Online registration can be processed at www.ucr.in.gov. In the right-hand column, click on Start UCR Registration. Click the radio button for New Applicant or Renew Your Unified Carrier Registration (UCR). From here, each screen will ask pertinent information to your company.

If online service is not available, registration may be completed by mail or in person with the Kansas Corporation Commission, 1500 SW Arrowhead Road, Topeka, Kansas 66604. The application must be completed in accordance with the instructions and attached with the payment. The Kansas Corporation Commission accepts checks, credit card (Visa/MasterCard/Discover/American Express), and cash if making the payment in person.

If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office at (785) 271-3145. Our office hours are 8 am to 5 pm, Monday - Friday.